Sunday, October 19, 2008

Going Green


So I had an internal debate about a Swiffer this weekend. Long story but I decided to google what the environmental impact of a Swiffer is. I found this wonderful website http://planetgreen.discovery.com/ It has so much "green" information. Now I'm not normally a "tree hugger" but I gotta say - Our planet is going downhill these days and I don't want to contribute any more to that than I already have. So I've decided that I'm going to do my best - no promises - to cut down on my impact on our earth. I think that means I'm going green!

Some things I'm going to do to reduce my impact:

1. Not buy or use anymore of those swiffers. I'm going to cut up old t-shirts and use washcloths, and attach those to my swiffer.

2. Buy a broad leaf plant. This will keep the air in my home fresh and filtered - if I get enough of them. I'm open to suggestions on this one because, I killed the bamboo plant at work. So I need something that's not going to die if I don't remember to water it every day!

3. Start using at home cleaners. By this I mean Vinegar, Baking Soda, and Lemons....I know crazy! But I'm reading on tons of websites that these three items are the key to keeping your house clean and green. Apparently you can even use vinegar as a fabric softener....so if you have someone who's allergic to detergents you can use it and it will break down the detergent better than fabric softener.

4. Recycle corks. I drink a lot of wine...and by that I mean. Around 1 bottle a week. Depending on the week ;) I've looked up some really great uses for the old corks that I normally just throw away, but I can do sooo much with them. If you're interested you can go here http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/reuse-cork-ideas.html

That's all for now - I'll let you know when I'm ready to take the leap and get those worms! (hannah)

Next up: Milo goes green!

He likes to snuggle.

xoxo
T

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Hi Tanya! I love your green ideas! Have fun with it and I've got lots of worms ready for you :-)

Hannah